Image hosting by Photobucket

3.17.2006

On The Warpath


*Big Chief is the one who is not in Motorhead.

I have been pestering an old friend "Big Chief" a DJ for KZSU to write a little story for a while and he finally sent it! I met Big Chief when I was a DJ on KZSU. My bands would play on his show Wednesday Night Live. KZSU has been an underground haven of good music for a long time. The DJ talents have included members of Evolved to Obliteration, Elephant Man, 976, Nerve Agents, Spazz, Falling Over Drunk, Plutocracy, No Less, and of course Mr. Kevy Kev and his show The Drum which is believed to be the longest running independent hip hop program in the world. Now that you are an Expert here is what the Chief had to say:

My dj name is BIG CHIEF. I have been doing a radio show on 90.1fm KZSU Stanford California called "On The Warpath" since september 1995 I also do a show on Wednesday called "Wednesday Night live". That I took over in 1998 and on that show I have a local band play live in our studios from 9-10pm every week. I book the bands and host the show, but my man Smurph does all the real work. He's my engineer. Over the years I have had some great bands from all over the world play ( Japan, Italy, England) but some of the craziest and most memorable ones are from a city right next door. The grindcore capitol of the world. Redwood City. Also known as the West Bay ( Redwood City, San Francisco, San Mateo, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Mountin View, etc.). I have much love for the bands and people from the west bay and they have much love for KZSU. Anytime A band from the west bay plays, all of the west bay shows up. Back in 1999 SPAZZ played their 2nd to last show on my Saturday night show. Then released it on the cd "Sweatin II: Deported Live Dwarf" It's a great recording. They didn't cut anything out, so you get all the between song banter. Its really funny. Then in August of 2000 a plan was hatched to put on a show for the West Bay Coalition. Which is made up of alot of the bands in the west bay. And also in memory of our friend who past away Dan Hogan aka the Zodiak Iller. Who was a KZSU dj and in a few west bay grindcore bands. The plan was to have 10 bands play live on my show between 9-mid. I thought this was going to be complete chaos that was going to end with police in riot gear and me being band from the radio station. Just the oppisite. When one band was playing, Kindred would get the next band ready to go on. We had at least 60 people there and at the end of the night there was not one cigarette butt or beer bottle to pick up. Now thats respect. Here is who played that night.
1-Dankaphone Devils
2-United Sicko Foundation
3-Apeshit
4-C.H.U.D.
5-Agents of Satan
6-ExTxOx ( Evolved to Obliteration)
7-No Less
8-Dead Bodies Everywhere
9-Plutocracy
10-Bullshit Excuse.





And finally the year after the 9/11/2001 terrorist attack. The one year anniversary ( 9/11/2002) was on a Wednesday So I booked Kalmex and The Riff Merchants to play on Wednesday night live. They made these flyers with planes crashing into the Hoover Tower (a big tower on the stanford campus) that read "Westbay Coalition Terrorist Attack" and "Airwave Invasion" and during their live set between songs I would play audio clips of the chaos when the planes hit. people screaming, the president and news reporters talking about what was going on, Pretty tasteless but great radio.
BIG CHIEF!






*Some of these live performances are available for personal consumption your best bet is to try http://www.myspace.com/kalmexandtheriffmerchants

Listen to the big chief "On The Warpath" sat 9-mid.
and wed. night live 9-10pm
streaming online at www.kzsu.org 90.1fm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home